Early 20thC Oyster Shell Hanging Lantern from Upton House Estate
A superbly decorative and elegant custom made lantern that is constructed from large oyster shells that have a great opalescence to them when the light is on the inside with these being set in lead. The shells are all in excellent condition, the lead work is naive and has taken a nice patina over the years from natural oxidisation. This lantern was part of a clearance for one of the cottages on the Upton Estate and would have been estate made given the naiveity of the lead work. Upton House is a large country estate in Warwickshire, England. The house was built on the site of the hamlet of Upton, which was destroyed in about 1500 when the land was cleared for pasture. The estate passed through various hands until the early 16th century when it was bought by Sir William Danvers. It remained with the Danvers family until 1688 when Sir Rushout Cullen purchased the estate for £7,000 (equivalent to £1,240,000 in 2018). Cullen built the house for himself in about 1695. In 1757 the house was bought by banker Francis Child for use as a hunting lodge and it remained in the Jersey family until the end of the 19th century when it was held by George Child Villiers, 5th Earl of Jersey. In 1927 the estate was acquired by Walter Samuel, 2nd Viscount Bearsted, who owed his fortune to the fact that his father Marcus Samuel was the founder of the oil company Shell Transport & Trading. Lord Bearsted donated the house, gardens and art collection to the National Trust in 1948. Lord Bearsted’s son, the 3rd Viscount, lived at Upton from 1948 until his death in 1986 and added to the gift to the National Trust the collection of fine porcelain. On the death of the 3rd Viscount, the furniture and other items on view in the rooms were offered to the nation by his daughter, Hon. Mrs. R. Waley-Cohen.
- DIMENSIONS H 8.27 in. x Dm 6.7 in.H 21 cm x Dm 17 cm
- DIAMETER 6.7 in. (17 cm)
- Interior Designers,
- Luxury Lighting,
- Estate Made